Tuesday, April 10, 2012

SS

Yesterday, I was asked about the special place that Salem holds in my heart (that's what my brother says). So, let me dispel any myths about the origin of this legend, set the record straight...

As they say, the way to a person's heart is through the stomach. So it was between Salem and me. To begin with, I'd gone to Yercaud with my family for a short vacation. We were supposed to descend to Salem by car. Now, cars make me nauseous, especially on very long drives, and so I had a very light breakfast. (My brother still thinks I was putting on an act!)

We finally reached Salem around lunch time, and the restaurant we went to was very crowded. More people kept coming in, and so we had to take our seats as soon as someone got up. We were all seated, at last, and the food served on plaintain leaves.

The food was good, and as I was no match for my brother when it comes to eating speed, I was still eating when my brother finished his lunch. I wanted to do justice to the meal, so I ate to my heart's content.

When I came out, my brother wanted to know how I'd finally finished my lunch. The way he went on, it was as if I'd kept people starving so I could eat. He wondered how I could eat so much if I'd been nauseous, and I told him that I was making up for the light breakfast I'd had :)

Anyway, my brother says that Salem had made me a Ghatotkacha, and that I had eaten enough for a crowd. Pity I can't show you how he tells the tale, with movie scene references and special effects...

To summarize, I did eat a lot at Salem, but then, I eat a lot most of the time :) So, though the Salem saapaadu (SS) was special, it wasn't like my brother's exaggerated accounts.

With this, I rest my case.

2 comments:

  1. I can totally relate to your story. I have this crazy thing that whenever I visit Trivandrum, I eat a lot in this particular food joint near Kavadiar Palace. Stylen meals with some non-veg side dish... And most of the time I get myself filled up so much that it gets impossible for me to enter a car or rickshaw in a proper human way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to know I have company. :)

    What is life sans good food,no?

    (P.S. Yesterday's paper's Astrofocus column had this advice for me : Prevent yourself from over-eating. Even the stars seem to be in on a conspiracy against me!)

    ReplyDelete