Friday, January 6, 2012

Random thoughts & observations from my Goa trek

- Hearing a whistle being blown at 4 A.M. or 5 A.M. every day for a week left me with a whistle hangover - I ended up hearing a whistle and waking up at the ungodly hour of 4A.M. even when I was back home. Thankfully, the effects weren't long-lasting, and I managed to return to my routine of sleep-till-7A.M.-or-even-longer-till-there-is-no-option-but-to-wake-up...
- It seems I managed to push this lady who was sleeping next to me out of the tent, into the cold air of the open, in the middle of the night. (The next night I took a "corner" position, so that even if i rolled in my sleep, I'd be the one out, not someone else!)
- Silence is one of the hardest things to find - be it on the beach or in the forest, day or night, there is always some chatter. I ended up desperately craving a silence, at least a lack of human noise. But no, it was just too hard to find. I did manage to enjoy a few moments of solitude while taking in the sound of the waves on the shore, but that wasn't what I needed...
- And for those who do not know it yet, kolaveri is pronounced ko-la-very. not ko-laaaaaaaaa-very. Or ku-laa-very. 
- Keeping a cool head is very important, especially in the face of people blowing whistles and shouting at you to "hurry up". And at times, it's better to go by your first instinct. Otherwise, like me, you'll end up leaving behind good cotton clothes, halves of pairs of socks, torches, medicines, toothpaste - in short, everything that I bought just for the trek, and ended up leaving behind at the base camp. And as if that wasn't enough, lack of choice forced me to wear flannel during the heat of the days...


More later...

No comments:

Post a Comment