Friday, June 3, 2011

Making memories...*

It's been a long day.

It was one of those rare days of being woken up by something other than Mom calling me (softly, for the thousandth time) or the ring of the alarm clock (which I usually manage to stop before going back to sleep). As usual, I'd gone back to sleep for "just a few more minutes" after having my morning cup of coffee. And all of a sudden, there was this mewing sound coming from somewhere very close to me, and I groggily woke up to hear my mother and aunt calling out to the cat - it was finally the thought that the cat was just next to my coffee cup that actually woke me up. (It took quite a while to finally make the cat come out of the house, that's another story, I'll save it for a rainy day (though today was one...)).

I was very happy to think that I'd finished my morning routine so fast, and was pleased to settle down with what I thought was meant for my breakfast, and the day's papers. And as usual, I found that after breakfast and the papers, I had barely enough time to reach the bus stop in time to catch my bus. Just like every other time, since I was on time, the bus was late.

I enjoyed a good cup of coffee in the canteen, and after an inevitable trip in the summer heat, I finally settled down in the lab and did a spot of studying, before my stomach indicated to me that it was time for lunch. I had lunch with a friend after a very long time. And now that I had no more trips to make, the weather became pleasant. My friend kept glancing at his watch and wondering if I'd ever finish my tea. I very graciously told him that he could leave, but he just sat there egging me on with his "Drink, drink" and a smile. When I was almost done with my tea, he just went off to buy something and then I met him at the door. It had started to drizzle by then, with signs of a heavier downpour. And as we walked off into the rain, I asked him sweetly, "Why did you delay so much? See, now we're caught in the rain..."

The afternoon also passed pleasantly. I enjoyed watching the Sandwich War and the Revenge of the Stapler. And then there was the news that my best friend had resigned from her job. It was a relief for me to hear that, given that my friend had almost lost her peace of mind and the job was making her depressed.

A pre-presentation cuppa in the pleasant weather, followed by an interesting presentation; and then a sudden change of plans - that seems to about account for the afternoon and evening.

On the spur of the moment, my friend and I decided that we'd scrap our earlier plans, and go out for coffee. "The best laid schemes of mice and men....",you know... My friend called her friend, and we set out. The poor  fellow didn't know where we were headed till we were actually on the road there.

We finally reached our destination, and were then given an introduction to the food and the place. We just ordered coffee for the present. (Today, I learnt that papad when broken into pieces is called papad chips!)  We followed it up with some food after a slight delay of about twenty minutes in trying to decide what we'd eat. The Illusion of Free Will played a role in the delay. In the end we managed to finish what we could, and called it "dinner". And we also resolved never to return to that place.

We then went in-and-out-in-a-matter-of-minutes from an ice cream shop, only to settle down with ice creams of our choice in the shop next to it. We finally returned to our rooms, after enjoying the cold breeze following the rain.

My friend is already back to her books. Which reminds me, I should also do the same. In other words, it's high time I logged out of the internet and switched off the computer.

*- Apologies for not thinking of a better title.

No comments:

Post a Comment